Posted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:53 pm Post subject: Get It Together 2: Christmas All Year Through
Earlier this year I instigated a collaborative recording project that resulted in the release of "Get It Together"; a song that was recorded remotely by 13 different SL musicians with all of the parts pulled together into a final mix by Toby Lancaster. We then distributed the finished track throughout SL with the hope of increasing awareness of the SL music scene to the wider population of SL. Not only did this project prove to be very successful but was also great fun and I am very proud of everyone who took part and those that supported the initiative. For more inforamation on the original GIT project please view this thread
After toying with a few ideas on giving the GIT project some longevity I have decided the time has come to give it another try and so I am happy to announce that this post marks the instigation of a second collaborative recording project with a new song.
I have prepared a new track entitled "Christmas All Year Through". "What a dreadful thought!" was Toby's comical initial reaction but I can assure you that despite the title the song is not about celebrating Christmas every day and the lyric is not at all cheesy and is not straightforward Christmas fare. While the thought of doing a Christmas track will instantly conjure up images of us all wearing thick sweaters and singing around an open fire in a cabin in the mountains I am asking you trust me when I say I have done my best to provide a quality song with melodic interest and a thought provoking lyric. The song is also purposefully quite different to GIT. I am hopeful you guys will do as good a job with this one as you did before.
I would like to invite SL musicians of all sorts to become collaborators on this recording. Once complete I will see that the track is again distributed for free but in this respect I will also be calling on everyone, both musicians and other valued members of the music community, to help me. I intend to distribute the song in the form of a christmas gift from the musicians of SL and for it to reach as many individual avatars in SL as possible. Like last time we will prepare a notecard of SL music scene information and a link to where the track can be downloaded but instead of distributing the notecard via a poster inworld I would like to recruit as many helpers as possible who will distribute the notecard to all their friends and to every single SL group they are a member of, whether it is related to music or not. Of course the majority of groups will require you to ask permission of the owner and may even require the owner themselves to send the notice to their group. Despite this I feel this will be an effective way of reaching the maximum number of residents with the track and will again give a boost to the general level of awareness of live music in SL.
The same plan used with the original GIT project will again apply this time round. All SL musicians who are active on this forum and others who do not post here are invited to contribute to a recording of this track. I will supply a skeleton piano track, a guide vocal, the lyrics and the chords. I will expect back from contributors a vocal performance of the song and/or one or more instrumental performances. Once I have all contributions returned to me I will work with my long term collaborator, Toby Lancaster, to snip them up and take what we need to make a mix so that we end up with a song that showcases as many different artists as possible. This time round the track is totally different to GIT and while it is tempting for me to try and guide people with my own thoughts of how it should end up it is imperative that I release creative control and let you all come up with what you feel is best. Just go for it and be creative!
In order to have some organization I will need to set a few groundrules as follows….
1. Please only musicians needed who can make a meaningful contribution. Use your own interpretation as to what a musician is. I am really really not making any judgement on what a musician is beyond saying that I am excluding a non musician sending in a track of them on a comb and paper. If you deem yourself a musician and you create music in any form then you are a potential contributor.
2. Record as much as you like for your contribution but depending on how many contributors are involved do not expect anymore than a sample of what you have sent in to end up being used. I give you my word that Toby and I will treat all contributions even handedly. Please please don’t anyone get all "me me me"about this. I am hoping that there will be enough contributions and people will be singing one line each. My vocal will be the first to be dropped if there are more singers than lines available. I am also aware that if we are innundated with contributions the track may suffer but I promise to do my best to produce a credible result.
3. The deadline is fairly strict in that the track must be ready to distribute before Christmas. The deadline for contributions is Friday 5th December 2008.
4. Copyright of the song itself is mine but I am giving all contributors permission to record. I will not be providing anything contractual beyond what I state here in public that the song is already copyrighted to me but I am giving full and free permission to all contributors to make their recordings. The resulting recording of the song is NOT copyrighted to me but is open for distribution. By contributing you are agreeing that your contribution can be distributed freely in this form.
5. Like before I will not expect any negative feedback on this forum regarding this project. I am not infringing your chance of free speech or diluting the democracy of this forum. I am simply going to make this project happen for the good of the whole SL music scene. If you don't agree with me or you have a problem with this project and what it is trying to achieve then please do not contribute.
6. You must be technically competant enough to be able to record your vocal and instrumental contributions in MP3 format at 128 kps and return them to me (email address will be in the contributors notecard I distribute) or give me a link where I can download them. I cannot get involved in everyone's recording techniques or handhold anyone through doing it...you have to know how to do this already.
7. I will provide a skeleton track on piano and vocal along with a few pointers. If you provide a vocal contribution be it the main melody or a harmony it is essential that you match my vocal phrasing as closely as possible. The reason for this is that when we come to match up voices and harmonies during the mix down any subtle differences in phrasing
are gonna stick out like a sore thumb. If you match my phrasing then it will be easier for us to pick out multiple voices for each line that are going to fit together.
8. Each contribution you make must be a separate MP3 file. If you decide to do a main vocal, a harmony and trumpet track these must be provided as 3 separate MP3 files.
9. Mono recordings are preferable (easier to pan in the mix) unless there is something particularly stereo about the sounds. Please do not put any reverb or other effects (unless that effect is essential to the sound such as distorted guitar) on your tracks. We will add that during the mix. Make sure your recording levels are not too low and not too high. If your recording clips out because you recorded it too high then we will not be able to fix that afterwards and your contribution may be unusable.
10. Have fun!
OK I have placed a list below of musicians who have already showed an interest in taking part in this collaboration and would anyone else who would like to contribute please post in this thread. I will be using this thread to control the project and will be posting updates here regularly.
Thanks for that Babble and frankly as one of the original contributors the project would not be the same without you.
If any of you wish to perform the track solo as part of your live shows its the same deal as with Get It Together...you have my total permission as long as you mention the project and more importantly encourage folks to share the same values the project has; educating the wider population of SL to the vibrant and creative in world music scene. _________________ http://www.djaiskjellerup.com http://www.myspace.com/djaiskjellerup1
Once complete I will see that the track is again distributed for free but in this respect I will also be calling on everyone, both musicians and other valued members of the music community, to help me.
Cool Stuff Djai! I think i read everything, and i downloaded the song, but i don't find the chords anywhere. Is it in Eb again. Can you pass them on, or point out to where they might be if i missed them?
You cannot post new topics in this forum You cannot reply to topics in this forum You cannot edit your posts in this forum You cannot delete your posts in this forum You cannot vote in polls in this forum